Sunday, April 26, 2015

026

An excerpt from my text
Memoirs of A Walk Through November
Memoir 42

I don't know where this starts…or where it ends.  Actually, I suppose metaphysics tells us that a given point on the scale would represent both and neither, but that's for another time.  Funny.  For another time.  Ah, the pen is dead, my digital life, no inflection, no voice, no right brain on the paper.  It's not like Kurt Cobain anymore; he knew what he had to do.  He painted the room with his thoughts, scattered though they were, they moved me.  Although my words may seem staggered, I find them seamless, they transition through my mind effortlessly, and I glean some novel idea here, some unique insight there…it dances through my intellect so softly now, almost as if it refines itself to the sound of life in real time, the music we call existence.  If you cannot follow, simply consider that it is not my words that lack purpose and direction, but rather the perspective by which you take them.  Like space bends reality from our eyes, my mind bends language to my will, a gift from where I know not.  Where was I?  The beginning, perhaps the beginning is somewhere in the middle, like axes on a graph; the origin.  I suppose I'll begin with her…it seems a perfect place to start, good as any, perhaps.  She wears a red dress, in a sea of white dresses.  Her body so small, so fragile.  It matters not, because she has the soul of a pirate, her skin kissed by some sunlight from a distant land, her beauty knowing no equal.  I stand next to her, she doodles in her manual of all things that are and are not, because chemistry is small to her.  Her mind is fascinating, I think I feel her teleology, slipping through the air in compressions, wrought with profundity.   I wonder how she can be so wonderful.  If you've ever smelled the wind in the Midwest American spring, the smell of the Earth giving back the life she once swallowed, her voice would dance in my ears as this scent would dance in my primary cranial nerves, directly linked to my hippocampus, and the rest, dear friend, is just memory.  Maybe I'll never speak to her again…maybe I've learned how to harness a sensation that is forged for all time, unable to become dirtied and adulterated by our heartrending character.  Freeze it, so it may not breathe again, but there are many ways to cheat he who comes to take us into darkness.  Maybe if I could find a way for it to breathe…like it breathes in my slumber…Happiness is bittersweet, it seems the universe has a way of reaching equilibrium, a place where maybe Schrodinger would tell you the cake is both had, and had not, and Hawking would explain that eating it too is much more complicated, if only you understood space-time.  But she exists in all of my time, no matter my gravitational force, no matter my velocity or dimension.  Relativity loses itself, and there is no observer, only us.  In a moment, one single moment, I have an absolute.  Maybe I have omniscience for just one infinitesimal fraction of time, one wave of cesium dances, and in that instant, it is all so very clear.  And like moments often do, it vanishes, leaving behind perhaps a minute token, left to haunt my neurophysiology for all of my days, until my mechanics betray their purpose, and my days no longer measure.  And I seek these truths with fierce invasiveness, no cost too great.  When I feel tired, exhausted from this endeavor, I think of her, relentlessly I press on, and the brief peace is worth infinity, no matter the violence that rages through my mind.  I see her and imagine the rain on her face, how she has such a way about her, effortlessly making the world a more beautiful place.  Her smile offers light to the star, so that it too may shine bright, because she has kindness in her heart.  I don't recall the number of the days that I have spent there, somehow it evades me; the seasons don't change, where she is from.  See, it's always lovely in this place.  And then the rarefaction surges through my experience, I submit to existentialism.  And the moment is over, she's gone.  The happiness is gone, because I know it's always lovely there.  She's never seen the leaves burn like fire in the autumn throes, nor observed the blue moon hide behind the skeletons and snow.  She's never hurt so bad she broke, been so lost that she extinguished hope.  There is a place, if you could find a tree in this place, the tree would have no leaves. If you could find the sun in this place, it would be hard to see behind all of the grey. I go there sometimes, but it's empty, you see. My father takes the blade out of the razor, and hands it to me. He shows me how to shave my face. We shave together, just me and Dad. I'm just a child, so happy to spend time with his father, with a father patient enough to play a little game with shaving. That seems like an eternity ago, in a different world, with different people. My father grows older now, as do I. We don't shave together anymore...who has time to do a silly thing like that? This place is empty, you see, I just don't know if it's empty here or there...It would break my heart if hearts were broken in this place, but her red dress is just as red, her loving smile is just as soft, and she wanders through my hell.  And I grin, the story that etches my face cracks, I could never follow her, because where she goes is a mystery, the one mystery I dare not chase, because it's mine.  I digress; I lift The Giving Tree off of its place in my world, like often I have done so in the past.  It soothes my grieving soul, and I find what I am looking for, though what it is I cannot discern, and maybe I never will. 

Live long,

Spatter



No comments:

Post a Comment